Help Wanted

Help...

It can be a scary thing to say...to admit.  It gives a sense of vulnerability and of weakness.  To admit this seems foolish.  In truth it is far from foolish.

Today I was reminded of the true beauty of help.  I was also reminded of the need to be willing to ask for such help.

I am a stay-at-home mom and I needed help so that I could clean my house.  This was tougher to admit than I ever thought.  I simply needed someone to watch my daughter for two hours so I could clean in peace.  Does that make me sound weak?  Maybe.

Even so, admitting this weakness revived me.  It gave me a sense that I could breathe again.  I can't do this on my own and that IS okay.  The people surrounding you are the people that God has placed in your life for community, love, and help.

Don't be afraid to admit it.  Admit it to your mom, to your sister, to your friend.  Admit it.  Ask for it.  Reach for it.

I waited.  I waited until someone offered (more than once I might add) to take my daughter for a couple hours.  THIS was foolish.  I waited until I was so worn that negativity was overcoming my thoughts.  I waited until I was so tired that I was no longer going through my days with joy or thankfulness.  I made myself overwhelmed, exhausted, and distressed.

Don't wait like me.  Don't wait until you are in too deep.  Take the plunge - ask that neighbour, that friend, that family member.  They might even appreciate it more than you think.  A new sense of refreshment may wash over you, a new sense of faith, and a new sense of joy.

This weakness can become your strength.  We were not meant to do it on our own - we were meant to be together, to work together.  Your weakness can provide this community.  Let us lean on each other in times of need.

Who can you ask for help?  Who can you lean on today?


Comments

Popular Posts