5 Benefits of a Morning Routine

You wake up and your mind is already spinning.  You are thinking about the list of to-dos, how much time you have (or lack of time), and how to begin.  Already you feel overwhelmed and your feet haven't even hit the floor.

A solid morning routine can change this.  It took me a while to perfect my morning routine, and I am still working on it, but once I began to get in the rhythm of it my days changed for the better.


Whether you are a stay-at-home mom, work at home, or work away from home a morning routine is extremely important in starting your day off on a good foot and allowing the flow of the rest of the day to run smoothly.

Here is an example of my regular morning routine:

6:00 - 6:20 - wake up, grab a drink, spend time in prayer and in God's word, shower.
6:20 - 6:40 (or until whenever Emelyn wakes up) - put in a load of laundry, eat breakfast, go over plan of day, check emails, and get ready.
6:40 (ish) - Emelyn wakes up, we eat a banana and she has her milk on the couch while we read a stack of books together.
7 (ish) - Emelyn has free play while I get breakfast ready
7:30 - breakfast, get ready for day.

This simple routine benefts not only me, but I can already see the benefits in my daughter as well.

Pin This!
5 Benefits to Having a Morning Routine:

1. I know what to expect.  When my alarm goes off in the morning I don't even need to think about what to do.  My routine has become so set that I don't even question whether or not to shower or begin with devotions.  This allows for a stressfree morning, and when the rest of the day could have other stresses to it, why add an unnessecary one to start?

2.  Toddler knows what to expect.  When Emelyn wakes up she knows exactly what to expect.  As soon as she wakes up she knows she will be getting milk and a banana.  She then will either point to the books or say 'books', eagerly awaiting the time to read together.  Emelyn used to have a tough time sitting and listening to me read to her -- she was impatient to flip the pages herself and move on to the next activity.  Once getting into our routine of reading books together she has become much more patient and attentive to listening to the stories.  I have also found that once getting into this routine she has become less clingy and expectant on me in certain ways.  When it is time to free play as I am making breakfast she is happy to do so as she knows she will be getting breakfast very soon.

3.  Good habits.  Having a solid morning routine has put me in the best habits of doing devotions, eating a healthy breakfast, and getting ready.  Without this routine I often would forget about my devotions (read my post at how I combatted that as well: Regular Devotions are NOT Easy) and I would either forget to eat or eat something quick without thinking.  On top of that, if I was staying at home that day I would forgo getting ready and spend the day in my sweats.  Not that this is a bad thing but because I am routined to now get ready every morning I find myself much more prone to taking initiative to get out and to be productive.  There is something about staying in sweats all day that gives you the feeling of relaxing with a lack of motivation.

4.  Always ready to go around the same time.  While we are still working on this part of our routine because of Emelyn still needing a morning nap at times and will ocassionally wake up late, we are  much more prone to being ready for anything that the day has to bring us beginning as early as 8 am.  This is very helpful in case anything comes up that we weren't expecting or if I feel extra busy that day.

5.  Peaceful start.  Above all, a morning routine gives me a peaceful start to the day.  I don't need to spend time rushing around, frantic about the day's happenings because I always have the start of the day for my routine.  This allows me to start the day off with an attitude of joy and thankfulness.

A morning routine can take time to develop as you find out what works best for you and your family.  It is important to take the time to write down how you will start.  Once you have made the routine a habit, I gaurantee you will have the incentive to wake up on a positive note.  

**Do you have a routine already set in place?  What are other ways it benefits you?

Check out my other posts on beginning your day off right:

Benefits of Waking Up Early

-. Make Over Your Mornings by Crystal Paine

4 Tips for Your Monday Morning





Comments

Popular Posts